As a Care Manager, you'll be responsible for all aspects of the day-to-day operations within the care setting, including recruiting and managing staff teams, managing budgets and ensuring that the quality of the services provided meets national care standards. As a Care Manager you will be proactive and provide a customised, responsive and high quality service to people with learning disabilities. You will be a frontline supervisor, supporting the manager to effectively manage a team of staff to deliver person centred, specialist services.
To provide a needs led service to students with learning disability by adopting a person centred approach that fosters self-awareness, personal growth and gives each person the strongest voice with regards to decision making and lifestyle choices and to maintain high standards ensuring the compliance with CQC Standards.
You will need to have a sound knowledge of person centred planning, rota planning and staff management/development. You will be IT literate and able to undertake some administration duties.
Ensure all activities are carried out in accordance with statutory requirements and organisational policies and procedures.
- ensure the delivery of quality, person-centred care
- induct, rota and supervise staff
- chair meetings and deliver training
- take on a visible leadership role
- maintain quality standards and ensure health and safety compliance
- liaise with and maintain partnerships with other local community organisations
- ensure any regulatory activity, such as personal care and administering medicines, is delivered within regulations
- provide information, advice and support to residents' families
- Organise activities for residents and actively promote their independence.
- Manage budgets and the financial effectiveness of the setting
- Assist the VP Care – deputise in the overall management of the care home as required.
- Positively influence the reputation of the home – communicating professionally and warmly with visitors including family, friends and other external stakeholders.
- Play an active role in ensuring compliance within the home – managing the implementation of company policies and regulatory requirements; striving to achieve the best possible care rating and other external recognition of quality.
- Maintain clinical excellence – role models high standards care, ensuring legal, regulatory and best practice guidelines are followed.
This role may include shifts, evening and weekend work, occasional sleep-ins and some on-call duties in the event of an emergency.
Leadership and Staff management
- As part of the leadership team you will be responsible for ensuring the whole facility operates effectively and of course ensuring we deliver the very best quality care.
- Plan rotas, staff schedules on a daily/weekly basis
- To lead by example, and develop effective teams within the Camphill Wakefield residential provision
- Developing your people – oversee the induction of all new employees and participate in the training development of the team.
- People management – play an active part in the recruitment, assessment and supervision of the team.
- Develop a positive working environment which nurtures and rewards good practice through a programme of training and development.
- Provide regular supervision and annual appraisal to House Mangers, Support Workers and Volunteers in line with Company procedures and standards.
- To ensure good quality working relationships are built and maintained between staff and the individuals they are supporting.
- Ensure a range of meetings take place to include weekly residents and house meetings and regular staff meetings.
- Work with the VP Care and Business to ensure the recruitment and retention of staff with a positive value base and person centred approach.
- Provide support and guidance to the staff team.
- Ensure staff attend all mandatory and refresher training
- Where necessary ensure that all disciplinary and grievance procedures are carried out in line with Company policy and statutory requirements.
- To manage change effectively.
- Provide regular on call cover
- Support the manager in disciplinary proceeding as required.
- Ensure staff adhere to the GCSS Codes of Practice and rules, policies and procedures contained in the Staff Handbook
- Ensure policies and procedures are adhered to across the site
- Ensure the delivery of quality care - continually assessing our residents’ needs and wishes and developing the service to enhance their quality of life.
- Ensure processes are in place and adhered to in line with the requirements of the Care Quality Commission (CQC).
- Develop a culture which enables staff members to maximise their development and create areas of expertise within the service.
- Prepare termly Quality Assessment Audits to ensure a continuously improving service is provided.
- Take responsibility for areas of development or leadership as directed by the VP Care Business Manager
- Manage delegated budgets to ensure resources are used to best effect, in line with company policy and procedure.
- Report financial discrepancies to the VP Care and Business
- Ensure staff work and comply with financial systems in line with company policies, procedures and guidelines.
Health and Safety
Ensure the Residential houses meet H&S regulations and guidance
- Complete RIDDOR and Reg.37 reports as required
- Ensure staff team completes H&S training as required
- To evaluate the risks of, and to protect, Students from threats to their health, welfare and normal developments from inside and outside Camphill Wakefield
- Complete risk assessments for staff, houses and individuals living there
- Ensure the premises are kept clean and hygienic throughout.
- At all times work within H&S policy and procedures
Ensure information is collated and recorded in line with Quality Assessment System and CQC requirements.
- Manage the appropriate maintenance of records and personal information in line with the Data Protection Act.
- To attend reviews as appropriate.
- To attend regular meetings with the VP Care and Business and other house managers and contribute to the agenda.
- Ensure that all policies and procedures related to the running of the home are adhered to.
- Ensure that all working practices are in line with organisational business objectives and protocols
Maximise effective partnerships with mainstream and specialist services e.g. Health, Education, Employment, Leisure etc.
- Maintaining close contact with families/carers as appropriate,
- Utilising support services as required, such as Advocacy.
- Implementing/monitoring and contributing to joint initiatives as required
- To create and develop links between Camphill Wakefield and the local community.
- Celebrate and share success with students, colleagues and partners.
Equality and Diversity:
- Ensure equality in the workplace regardless of race, age, disability, gender, sexual orientation or religious belief.
- To ensure that the service provided respects the individual as an adult and equal citizen.
- Support people to express their individuality and uniqueness in all areas of life.
- Oversee and Manage the administration function of the Care and House management developing and designing improvements to systems [manual and electronic] in line with organisational priorities and strategic planning; together with the development of working practices to meet all anticipated challenges in the future
- Ensure all staff are working in adherence to the agreed administration systems
- Plan and provide regular reports to the VP Care and Business and other members of the senior management team on all areas of work as required
- To undertake ongoing continued professional development.
- To uphold the values and ethos of Camphill Wakefield
- To undertake such duties and responsibilities reasonably consistent with the role as may be required from time to time by the Principal
This Job Description sets out the responsibilities of the post at the time it was drawn up. Such responsibilities may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the post or level of responsibility entailed. Variations are a common occurrence and do not of themselves constitute additional responsibilities.
Any other duties that may reasonably fall within the purview of the job.
Download the person specifications here